Spring is finally here! Well, at least it made a brief appearance on Saturday, but that means it’s close! With the warmer weather on its way, that means our meetings will move outside till next winter. But first we have Spirit of Free Beer this coming weekend at Silver Branch Brewing!
April Meeting: 4/13 @ 12pm
After Spirit of Free Beer (SOFB) is over, there’s always a ton of great beer remaining. It’d be a shame to let this beer go to waste, so here’s where the “Free Beer” part of SOFB comes into play. On Saturday, April 13 from 12pm – 5pm, we’ll meet in Rockville to enjoy all the remaining SOFB beer! As such, this is the one meeting of the year where you don’t need to bring any beer. Please remember to bring food though. Remember: always bring more food than you can eat & more beer than you can drink (well, except for beer this month)!
I’m sure Tom Cannon will conduct his annual tasting using some of the SOFB beers to help you provide better constructive feedback. It’s always an interesting & educational discussion, so be sure to participate! With all the free beer at the meeting, there will not be a competition this month. And of course, we’ll also have our SOFB Awards Ceremony where we’ll give out medals & prizes!
We had our annual St. Patrick’s Day celebration in March in Annandale. Thanks to Mark Girard for getting the space for us! There was a wide variety of stouts available & a plethora of Irish fare for snacking on. Chuck Hughes & Matt Peppe led a great stout comparison tasting where you had to guess whether a beer was a porter or a stout, and then the specific sub-style. It was a tough challenge, and I believe only one person got it 100% correct!
Rich Sampson & Jeanne Burns ran the annual Dan McCoubrey Memorial Stout Competition, which had 8 entries this year. Thanks to the judges (Jamie Langlie, Woody Lee, Wendy Schmidt, & Dave White) who helped narrow it down to the top 3. Matt Pyle continued his ribbon streak, with his “Big Like Mel Imperial Stout” coming in 3rd place. Kristy & Matt Scholfield found their way to the winners’ circle for the first time with their “Killer Queen Sweet Stout” in 2nd place. And yours truly took 1st in this (obviously fixed) competition with my annual “Putin’s Tears”…entered as a Tropical Stout this year instead of an Imperial Stout because I didn’t get the attenuation I expected.
- Spirit of Free Beer (SoFB): Our big annual competition will be held on April 6 this year at Silver Branch Brewing. Check-in was this past weekend–thanks to all who helped out! Remember, this is a closed event for judges, stewards, & volunteers only.
- SMaSH Beer Experiment: Your Ministers of Enlightenment are planning a fun SMaSH beer activity for August, but we need brewers to participate. If you’re interested in brewing a SMaSH beer for the August meeting, please reach out to Chuck & Matt at email@example.com. If we have enough participants, this will also double as a competition for the month!
- HomebrewCon: This year’s AHA HomebrewCon is on June 27-29 in Providence, RI. Matt Peppe has volunteered to coordinate a BURP’s presence at the conference. Right now it’s not looking like we’ll have too many members attending, so we might team up with the Free State Homebrewers Guild (MD homebrew club guild) to pour with them. If you’re planning on attending the conference, please fill out the Guild’s survey to indicate if you’re bringing any beer to pour & when you’re available to help pour at the Guild’s booth: 2019 Homebrew Con Participation Survey. The Guild is also organizing transportation of kegs in case you’re not driving!
- BURPOUT: BURPOUT has been confirmed for July 12-14 this year. Mark your calendars & be on the lookout for more details as we get closer!
- Maryland State Fair Competition: The Maryland State Fair Competition will be held on Friday, August 23. Entry drop off will be August 20 & 21 at the fair site. More to come as it gets closer.
Merch for Sale!
We have merch! Please reach out to Dave White via email or at a meeting if you’d like to buy anything.
- NEW! BURP beanies (navy, forest green, or light purple. Only $9 each!
- “Body by BURP” T-shirts (S-XXL), which cost $15. Only a few remaining!
- Navy long sleeves T-shirts (S-XXL) with the same logo for $18. Only a few remaining!
- BURP cycle jerseys (miscellaneous sizes) for sale ($45 each for members, $50 for non-members)
- Generic BURP work shirts for $33 (only couple XL and L left).
- BURP coasters with the old school logo, which we’re selling in packs of 10 for $2.00 and 25 for $5.
- BURP titanium openers for $10
- BURP European-style stickers for $1
That’s all for this month…I look forward to judging beer with many of you this weekend & I’ll see the rest of you at the April meeting!
Cheers, Prost, & Sláinte,