Happy August BURPers! The final month of summer is upon us & we have some exciting things planned for our meeting next weekend. Read on to find out more…
August Meeting: 8/10 @ 1pm
On Saturday, August 10 from 1pm – 5pm, we’ll meet at a club member’s home in Alexandria, VA. We’ll be debuting the results of our SMaSH beer experiment that we’ve been talking about for awhile now. Your Ministers of Enlightenment have recruited about 7 folks to brew beers using only a single malt & a single hop variety. We’ll taste & compare the results to hone in on the flavor profiles contributed by different ingredients.
Along with the experiment, those who brewed a SMaSH beer can also participate in the competition that the Ministers of Culture are running. Brewers can register here: SMaSH Beer Competition.
And if you didn’t brew a SMaSH beer, bring whatever else you have to share with the group! We could also use another folding table or two if you are able to throw one in your car. Remember: always bring more food than you can eat & more beer than you can drink!
Thanks to Janet & Pat Crowe for hosting our July meeting! While I sadly missed the meeting, I heard great feedback from everyone. Brian Barrows did a fantastic job with the Enlightenment session with about 10-15 people participating–it was nice to have a professional brewing industry perspective. The Ministers of Culture ran a “Lawnmower Beer” competition with 5 entries. In 3rd place with a Dark Mild was Thomas Sords. Second place went to Wendy Schmidt with her Witbier. And Tamara Hatley took 1st with her Smoked Helles. Congrats all!
- MASHOUT: MASHOUT will be held August 15-18 this year. Registration is now open & more details can be found here: MASHOUT.
- Oktoberfest: Our annual Oktoberfest celebration is coming up on Saturday, September 28. Get your German beers ready!
Merch for Sale!
We have merch! Please reach out to Dave White via email or at a meeting if you’d like to buy anything.
- NEW! BURP beanies (navy, forest green, or light purple. Only $9 each!
- “Body by BURP” T-shirts (S-XXL), which cost $15. Only a few remaining!
- Navy long sleeves T-shirts (S-XXL) with the same logo for $18. Only a few remaining!
- BURP cycle jerseys (miscellaneous sizes) for sale ($45 each for members, $50 for non-members)
- Generic BURP work shirts for $33 (only couple XL and L left).
- BURP coasters with the old school logo, which we’re selling in packs of 10 for $2.00 and 25 for $5.
- BURP titanium openers for $10
- BURP European-style stickers for $1
That’s all for this month…I’ll see you all on August 10 in Alexandria!
Cheers, Prost, & Sláinte,
|August 10||Peterson Pub, Alexandria, VA||Regular Meeting||SMaSH Beers||SMaSH Beers|
|September 28||Seneca Creek State ParkGaithersburg, MD||Oktoberfest||German Beers||Oktoberfest Comparison|
|October 12||Burns PubFalls Church, VA||Regular Meeting||Best Beer w/ BBQ(Tentative)||Cider Education|
|November 9(Judging Nov 8)||Aaronridge PubRockville, MD||Real Ale||Real Ale||Real Ale Education|
|December 5||Silver Branch BrewingSilver Spring, MD||Holiday Party||Winter Warmers||None|