The DMV heat & humidity is back, which means it’s summertime! While our summer meetings sometimes tend to be on the smaller side, we got lots of fun stuff planned this year, which I hope you all participate in. We’ll be learning about mead this month, have a lawnmower beer competition in July (along with BURPOUT), & a great SMaSH beer enlightenment activity/competition in August.
June Meeting: 6/15 @ 1pm
On Saturday, June 15 from 1pm – 5pm, we’ll meet at the home of Jamie & Paul Langlie in Kensington, MD (see Meeting Directions Tab for BURPers). While there’s no competition this month, the Langlies will be running a mead education activity. Be sure to bring homebrew to share with everyone! Since there’s no specific style theme this month, it’s a great time to pull out all those odds & ends you have around to share with the club! Remember: always bring more food than you can eat & more beer than you can drink!
And since the Langlies are hosting this month, I also want to take this opportunity to congratulate Jamie & Paul on winning the Free State Homebrew Club Guild’s annual Spirit Award! Each guild club can nominate someone for this award, and this year, your BURP officers voted to nominate the Langlies…and they won! Congratulations Jamie & Paul! Well deserved!
Thanks to Christina Wren & Dan Allers for once again hosting our annual Chili Meeting. Christina & Dan have hosted for many years now, but it’s time to pass the torch on to someone new. I’m happy to announce that Andrea & David Albersheim have graciously volunteered to host next year’s meeting! And they live in Fairfax too just a few minutes from Christina & Dan–so Chili will remain a VA event for BURP!
We had 10 chili teams competing this year, once again under the supervision of our Chili Commissioners, Kathleen & Bob Warriner. The hottest chili aware went to Emily & Howard Michelsen for their Dark & Stormy chili made with a dark mild. In 3rd place was Colleen & Tom Cannon and Janet & Pat Crowe for their Jackalope chili, made with a Belgian single. Second place went to Trish & Larry Koch for Baa-Baa BURP Chili made with Dos Equis. And in 1st place, Pam & Greg Leifer took the honors for Doe Rae Chili, made with an altbier.
For the Best Beer with Chili competition, there were 6 entries. Pam & Greg Leifer came in 3rd with a Tropical Stout. Yours truly, Mike Reinitz, took 2nd with The Schwartz Awakens, a clone of Modelo Negra. And Colleen & Tom Cannon and Janet & Pat Crowe took 1st with their MaiCock Double Honey Maibock!
Congrats to all the chili & beer winners!
Discounted BYO Subscription
Some of you may recall the annual BYO (Brew Your Own) magazine subscription drive we’ve done in the past. This year, BYO made it super simple to get a discounted rate–all you need is a discount code when you subscribe or renew. Here’s the details:
We recognize the great work homebrew clubs do to promote the best hobby in the world and we want to reward you as a homebrew club member with the exclusive chance to save 50% on any of our Brew Your Own subscription programs and keep everything as simple as possible. Here’s how you can take advantage of our 2019 BYO Homebrew Club Discount Subscription Program:
- Go to our BYO Subscription/Membership store webpage: https://byo.com/product-category/subscription-membership/
- Choose what type of one-year subscription or membership you want: You can choose Print Subscription Only, Digital Membership Only, or the Print-Digital Combination.
- After getting to the specific subscription/membership webpage (print only, digital only, or print-digital combo) you would like to save 50% on, click on “Add to Order”.
- At the top of the form click on the Coupon Code link and type “club19” in the coupon code box for your 50% club savings.
- Fill out the Billing and Shipping information on the form. You’ll see the 50% discount already applied after you’ve entered the coupon code from step 3.
- Click the box with your payment option you prefer: credit card or PayPal. We accept all major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, etc.). Fill in the payment information, check the terms and conditions box and finally click the “SIGN UP NOW” button.
- That’s it! You’ve locked in 50% savings for the next year and you will also be given the chance in the future to renew for another year at the same 50% savings if you wish.
- The deadline to participate in this 50% discount program is June 30, 2019.
- If you ordered a new print subscription you’ll receive your first copy in about one month. If you already have a print subscription with us, we will simply add one more year (8 issues) to your existing print subscription account (but please make sure you use the same name and mailing address so we can sync up your print renewal properly.)
- If you’ve ordered a new digital membership you’ll receive an email about setting up your account giving you full access to the thousands of homebrewing stories, recipes, and projects online. Unfortunately at this time you can’t add on an additional year if you already have a current digital membership with us.
Any questions about the club discount subscription program? Please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SMaSH Beer Experiment: Your Ministers of Enlightenment are planning a fun SMaSH beer activity for August, but we need brewers to participate. If you’re interested in brewing a SMaSH beer for the August meeting, please reach out to Chuck & Matt at email@example.com or sign-up here: SMaSH Beer List. If we have enough participants, this will also double as a competition for the month!
- HomebrewCon: This year’s AHA HomebrewCon is on June 27-29 in Providence, RI. Matt Peppe has volunteered to coordinate a BURP’s presence at the conference. Right now it’s not looking like we’ll have too many members attending, so we might team up with the Free State Homebrewers Guild (MD homebrew club guild) to pour with them. If you’re planning on attending the conference, please fill out the Guild’s survey to indicate if you’re bringing any beer to pour & when you’re available to help pour at the Guild’s booth: 2019 Homebrew Con Participation Survey. The Guild is also organizing transportation of kegs in case you’re not driving!
- BURPOUT: Registration for the 6th annual BURPOUT at Popenoe Mountain is now open! This year, the camping trip will be on July 12-14, and it’s $20 for adults & $10 for children. You can register here after logging into your BURP account: BURPOUT Registration.
- Maryland State Fair Competition: The Maryland State Fair Competition will be held on Friday, August 23. Entry drop off will be August 20 & 21 at the fair site. More to come as it gets closer.
Merch for Sale!
We have merch! Please reach out to Dave White via email or at a meeting if you’d like to buy anything.
- NEW! BURP beanies (navy, forest green, or light purple. Only $9 each!
- “Body by BURP” T-shirts (S-XXL), which cost $15. Only a few remaining!
- Navy long sleeves T-shirts (S-XXL) with the same logo for $18. Only a few remaining!
- BURP cycle jerseys (miscellaneous sizes) for sale ($45 each for members, $50 for non-members)
- Generic BURP work shirts for $33 (only couple XL and L left).
- BURP coasters with the old school logo, which we’re selling in packs of 10 for $2.00 and 25 for $5.
- BURP titanium openers for $10
- BURP European-style stickers for $1
That’s all for this month…I’ll see you all on June 15 in Kensington!
Cheers, Prost, & Sláinte,
|June 15||Paul & Jamie LanglieKensington, MD||Regular Meeting||None||None|
|July 12 – 14||Pops & Helen PopenoeRocky Gap, MD||BURPOUT||None||None|
|July 20||Pat & Janet CroweAnnandale, VA||Regular Meeting||Lawnmower Beers||Special Guest(Tentative)|
|August 10||Dennis PetersenAlexandria, VA||Regular Meeting||SMaSH Beers(Tentative)||SMaSH Beers|
|September 28||Seneca Creek State ParkGaithersburg, MD||Oktoberfest||German Beers||Oktoberfest Comparison|
|October 12||Jeanne & Mike BurnsFalls Church, VA||Regular Meeting||Best Beer w/ BBQ(Tentative)||Cider Education|
|November 9(Judging Nov 8)||Aaronridge PubRockville, MD||Real Ale||Real Ale||Real Ale Education|
|December 5||Silver Branch BrewingSilver Spring, MD||Holiday Party||Winter Warmers||None|