Have you ever been to an outdoor gathering where it was so hot (even with a cold brew in hand) that you said “If I find a pool, I swear I’m going in with or without clothes!”? Well, there was no skinny dipping, but BURP’s July meeting held at the home of Bruce Bennett and Nancy Cozier in Nokesville, VA was just one of those gatherings. Many thanks to Bruce and Nancy for hosting the small but rowdy group of BURPers for this summer’s pool party.
The monthly competition was for the Best Session Brew, which we loosely defined as 5% ABV or below. Special thanks to Tom Cannon and Pat Crowe for judging July’s competition, which had five entries, including a session American IPA (21A), a Witbier (24A), a Trappist single (26A), a Kolsch (5B), and an international pale lager (2A).
It was no easy task determining which of the brews would float atop the proverbial competition pool, but when the bubbles cleared, Bill Ridgely’s Session American IPA and Witbier finished strong taking first and second place, respectively. Ralph Barthold’s Kolsch came in a close third. Congrats to Bill and Ralph, and see below for Bill’s American IPA recipe.
As a friendly reminder, MASHOUT will be held during August 18-21, and there will be no monthly competition. We’ll see you in September 24th at Seneca Creek State Park for BURP’s annual Oktoberfest!
Here’s Bill’s award-winning IPA recipe:
IPA- Brewer’s Best Kit (Session American IPA- 21A)
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.75 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
ABV: 5.5 %
- 11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.5 %
- 1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt – 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 11.1 %
- 8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
- 8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
- 1.00 oz Simcoe [12.70 %] – Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 33.4 IBUs
- 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.80 %] – Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 12.5 IBUs
- 1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.80 %] – Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 9.1 IBUs
- 1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast
- 1.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] – Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
- Mash In with 20.07 qt of water at 168.1 F to reach a mash temperature of 154.0 F and hold for 75 min
- Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.81 gal water at 168.0 F