As part of our annual Oktoberfest meeting, the monthly competition was a kegger for the Best German Brew, which could have been from any of 20 different styles listed in the 2015 BJCP guidelines. There were a total of 10 entries for this year’s competition, including a Munich Helles (4A), two Festbiers (4B), two Märzens (6A), an Altbier (7B), two Scwarzbiers (8B), a Dopplebock (9A), and a Weissbier (10A). This was a popular vote contest, and when all the votes were tallied, perennial winner Mel Thompson took first place with his Doppelbock named Lickedenator, while Dave White repeated his second place finish from last year with a Märzen named Davetoberfest (Yes, he needs help with his branding.). In third place, new to the winner’s circle was Erik Faden with is Festbier named Fadenfest. Congratulations to the winners! If you want, see below for Mel’s award-winning recipe.
As a friendly reminder, our next meeting will be on October 15, and the competition will be for ciders and meads! Stay tuned for more details….
Greg Leifer and Dave White- Co-Ministers of Culture
Here is Mel’s award-winning Doppelbock recipe:
Brew Name: Lickedenator
- Brew Type: All Grain
- Style: Doppelbock
- Boil Time: 180 min
- Batch Size: 5.50 gal
- Boil Volume: 10 gal
- Measured Final Gravity: 1.030 SG
- Measured Original Gravity: 1.120 SG
- 12.00 lb Munich Malt (9 SRM)
- 5.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2 SRM)
- 0.75 lb Aromatic Malt (26 SRM)
- 0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2 SRM)
- 0.75 lb Caramunich Malt (56 SRM)
- 0.75 lb Melanoiden Malt (20 SRM)
- 0.25 lb Special B Malt (180 SRM)
- 0.15 lbChocolate Malt (350 SRM)
- 1.00 ozCrystal [8.2%] (60 min)
- 0.75 oz Mt. Hood [5.2%] (30 min)
- 0.55 tsp Gelatin (kegging)
- 1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
- 1 Pkg German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [Starter 500 ml]
- Mash In with Add 25.50 qt of water at 165.9 F to reach a mash temperature of 154.0 F and hold for 60 min
- Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
- Sparge Water: 3.92 gal
- 3+ hour boil to reduce wort from 10 gallons to 5.5 gallons.
- Starting boil gravity was 1.056. Ended at 1.120.
- Racked at 12 days – gravity 1.048
- Kegged 14 additional days – FG-1.030