My apologies for the late bulletin this month–apparently I drank too much homebrew! The summer of BURP continues with some exciting events this month…read on!
July Meeting: 7/20 @ 1pm
On Saturday, July 20 from 1pm – 5pm, we’ll meet in Annandale, VA at the home of Janet & Pat Crowe. With the DMV heat in full swing, we’ll be focusing our attention on Lawnmower Beers this month! Your Ministers of Culture have a fun Lawnmower Beer Competition planned–you can register here: Lawnmower Beer Comp. This competition is open to any BJCP style that you consider a “lawnmower beer” (e.g. light, refreshing, easy-drinking, etc.).
Keeping with the theme, your Ministers of Enlightenment have invited a special guest, Brian Barrows (former BURPer), to discuss lawnmower beers & brewery quality control. Brian has run quality labs at a few breweries in CA & runs a Brewing Science program at Trocaire College in Buffalo.
It should be a fun & educational meeting! Remember: always bring more food than you can eat & more beer than you can drink!
Thanks to Jamie & Paul Langlie for hosting our June meeting! The weather was fantastic & we had a great turnout for a summer meeting. The Langlies also took us through a LARGE mead tasting during the meeting & taught us all about the different types of mead, how they’re made, & what flavor profiles to expect. It was an interesting (and delicious) discussion…thanks Jamie & Paul!
- SMaSH Beer Experiment: Your Ministers of Enlightenment are planning a fun SMaSH beer activity for August, but we need brewers to participate. If you’re interested in brewing a SMaSH beer for the August meeting, please reach out to Chuck & Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org or sign-up here: SMaSH Beer List. If we have enough participants, this will also double as a competition for the month!
- MASHOUT: MASHOUT will be held August 15-18 this year. Registration is now open & more details can be found here: MASHOUT.
- Maryland State Fair Competition: The Maryland State Fair Competition will be held on Friday, August 23. Entry drop off will be August 20 & 21 at the fair site. More to come as it gets closer.
Merch for Sale!
We have merch! Please reach out to Dave White via email or at a meeting if you’d like to buy anything.
- NEW! BURP beanies (navy, forest green, or light purple. Only $9 each!
- “Body by BURP” T-shirts (S-XXL), which cost $15. Only a few remaining!
- Navy long sleeves T-shirts (S-XXL) with the same logo for $18. Only a few remaining!
- BURP cycle jerseys (miscellaneous sizes) for sale ($45 each for members, $50 for non-members)
- Generic BURP work shirts for $33 (only couple XL and L left).
- BURP coasters with the old school logo, which we’re selling in packs of 10 for $2.00 and 25 for $5.
- BURP titanium openers for $10
- BURP European-style stickers for $1
That’s all for this month! I will unfortunately have to miss the meeting this month, but I’ll see you all in August for sure!
Cheers, Prost, & Sláinte,
|July 12 – 14||Pops & Helen PopenoeRocky Gap, MD||BURPOUT||None||None|
|July 20||Pat & Janet CroweAnnandale, VA||Regular Meeting||Lawnmower Beers||Special Guest(Tentative)|
|August 10||Dennis PetersenAlexandria, VA||Regular Meeting||SMaSH Beers(Tentative)||SMaSH Beers|
|September 28||Seneca Creek State ParkGaithersburg, MD||Oktoberfest||German Beers||Oktoberfest Comparison|
|October 12||Jeanne & Mike BurnsFalls Church, VA||Regular Meeting||Best Beer w/ BBQ(Tentative)||Cider Education|
|November 9(Judging Nov 8)||Aaronridge PubRockville, MD||Real Ale||Real Ale||Real Ale Education|
|December 5||Silver Branch BrewingSilver Spring, MD||Holiday Party||Winter Warmers||None|