Happy (almost) December BURPers! Thanksgiving is right around the corner, which means so is our annual holiday party. Read on for details along with a recap of last month, a note about 2020 meeting locations, an offer from the AHA, & a link to buy tickets for the Guild’s holiday party.
December Meeting: 12/5 @ 6pm
On Thursday, December 5 from 6pm – 10pm, we’ll meet in Silver Spring for our annual holiday potluck. Since we’ll be at a brewery, there is NO COMMERCIAL BEER allowed at this meeting–homebrew only! If you don’t have homebrew to bring, then bring extra food. Remember, always bring more beer (HOMEBREW ONLY) than you can drink & more food than you can eat!
For those that are available earlier to help setup, I plan on being there around 5pm. In addition to our holiday potluck, we’ll be having a Winter Warmer competition. This will be a popular vote competition, so be sure to bring enough beer for everyone. Register your entries here: Winter Warmer Competition.
We’ll also be doing elections for next year’s officers along with thanking everyone who has helped out or hosted a meeting this year. Your proposed 2020 slate of officers are:
- Fearless Leader: Mike Reinitz
- Ministers of Culture: Jeanne Burns & Matt Scholfield
- Ministers of Enlightenment: Chuck Hughes & Matt Peppe
- Minister of Prosperity: Pam Leifer
- Minister of Membeersip: Dan Rozman
- Ministers of Propaganda: James Wisnieski & Lon Holland (Webmaster)
Thank you as always to Wendy Aaronson & Bill Ridgely for hosting us at the Aaronridge Pub for Real Ale! It was a fantastic (albeit chilly) day. Turnout was great & food was plentiful. Also thanks to Tom Cannon & Andy Anderson for conducting an enlightenment session on Real Ale. We had about 35 entries in this year’s competition. Bob Rouse took home the Cellarman’s Choice paddle for his Brown Ale. Jim Busch came in 3rd, also with a Brown Ale. Yours truly, Mike Reinitz, came in 2nd with an English Porter. And Christine & Bill Newman took the coveted 1st place cup home with what I believe was a British Golden Ale, but it was gone before I got to try it, so I don’t remember! Congratulations to all the winners!
2020 Meeting Locations
I can’t believe it, but 2020 is right around the corner, which means we need to determine next year’s calendar. Most of the calendar is filled out below (including the competition schedule). However, we’re still looking for someone to host in August next year…let me know if you’re interested!
AHA Membership Offer
The AHA (American Homebrewers Association) is offering a special membership offer specifically for BURP members. If you sign-up for membership or renew your membership through the following link, you’ll receive two free books: Brewing Eclectic IPA ($19.95) and Gose ($19.95). Plus, BURP will get a small percentage of your membership fee if you use our referral link, so you’ll be giving back to the club as well! Register between now & December 31 here: AHA BURP Offer.
- Guild Holiday Party: The Guild’s holiday party will be on Saturday, 12/7 from 6pm-10pm at Heavy Seas. Tickets are $25 + fees. More details & tickets are available here: https://mdhomebrewers.ticketleap.com/2019-guild-holiday-party/
Merch for Sale!
We have merch! Please reach out to Dave White via email or at a meeting if you’d like to buy anything.
- NEW! BURP beanies (navy, forest green, or light purple. Only $9 each!
- “Body by BURP” T-shirts (S-XXL), which cost $15. Only a few remaining!
- Navy long sleeves T-shirts (S-XXL) with the same logo for $18. Only a few remaining!
- BURP cycle jerseys (miscellaneous sizes) for sale ($45 each for members, $50 for non-members)
- Generic BURP work shirts for $33 (only couple XL and L left).
- BURP coasters with the old school logo, which we’re selling in packs of 10 for $2.00 and 25 for $5.
- BURP titanium openers for $10
- BURP European-style stickers for $1
That’s all for this month…I’ll see you all at Silver Branch on December 5 to celebrate the holidays!
Cheers, Prost, & Sláinte,
|December 5||Silver Spring, MD||Holiday Party||Winter Warmers||None|
|January 11||Wheaton, MD||BADASS Joint Meeting||Belgian Ales||TBD|
|February 22||Washington, DC(tentative)||JamBEERee Joint Meeting||Best of the Americans(any American style)||TBD|
|March 21||Annandale, VA||St. Patrick’s Day||Stouts||TBD|
|April 18||Silver Spring, MD||Spirit of Free Beer||Spirit of Free Beer||N/A|
|April 25||Silver Spring, MD||Free Beer!||None||TBD|
|May 16||Fairfax, VA||Chili||Best Beer With Chili||TBD|
|June 13||Silver Spring, MD||TBD||None||TBD|
|June 26-28(tentative)||Popenoe Mountain||BURPOUT||TBD||TBD|
|July 11||Silver Spring, MD||TBD||Session Beers||TBD|
|September 26(tentative)||Gaithersburg, MD||Oktoberfest||German Beers||TBD|
|October 10 or 17||Falls Church, VA||TBD||Harvest Ales||TBD|
|November 7||Rockville, MD||Real Ale||Real Ale||Real Ale|
|December 3 or 10||TBD||TBD||Barleywine/Strong Ales||TBD|