March is right around the corner, which means one of the best beer drinking holidays is upon us! Read on for details about next month’s meeting, some potential BURP kid activities, a recap of February, & a shameless self plug to round it all out.
March Meeting: 3/9 @ 12pm
Our annual St. Patrick’s Day celebration will be on Saturday, March 9 from 12pm – 5pm in Annandale (see Members Meeting directions Tab). Get your Irish stews, soda breads, & corned beef ready! Thanks to Mark Girard for reserving the space for us this year! For those who can’t bring homebrew, bring some commercial beer or extra food instead. Remember: always bring more food than you can eat & more beer than you can drink!
The Ministers of Enlightenment will be organizing a Stout Comparison tasting to compare/contrast all the different stout varieties. And of course we’ll have a Stout Competition. This will be BJCP-judged, so you only need to provide two 12oz bottles (or the equivalent). Any stout category is welcome (Irish, Irish Extra, Sweet, Oatmeal, Tropical, Foreign Extra, American, or Imperial). You can register here: Stout Competition.
We’ll also have a “BURP Toast” competition. There’s an old BURP Doxology on the website that could use some modern sprucing up. If you have an idea for a new BURP Toast, please send along your proposal. I’ll read out all the options at the meeting & we’ll vote on our favorite. The plan is to then do the toast at all our meetings moving forward!
Your officers had a discussion at the beginning of the year about making BURP meetings a little more family-friendly to encourage those of you with kiddos at home to attend more often. One of our ideas was to set up some activities for kids at a few of our meetings throughout the year. Amy Hughes & Lisa Rozman have graciously volunteered to head this up, and we’ll pilot it in March (assuming there’s interest).
One thing to make clear though: this won’t be a babysitting service. Amy & Lisa will prepare a fun crafts activity or something of the sort and have it setup for those who wish to participate. They will not be watching your kids for you though!
If you have children that would be interested in participating at the March meeting, please let me know! We’re not going to ask Amy & Lisa to prepare an activity unless there’s interest!
We had our annual JamBEERee with other DMV homebrew clubs in February. This year, the meeting was held at DC Brau, which proved to be a great location–big space, we could bring outside food, & plenty of parking too. The DC Homebrewers unveiled their extensive SMaSH beer experiment with some interesting results. GRiST organized a delicious beer & food pairing competition (I don’t recall who won, but Pam Leifer’s pork belly stole the show for me!). BURP ran an IPA competition with 10 entries. Martin Wilson of DC Homebrewers took 3rd with his “I Too Was Bamboozled” IPA. GRiST’s Tim Gerbracht took 2nd with his “New Years NEIPA”. And BURP’s own Matt Pyle came in 1st with his American IPA. Congrats Matt!
- Brewer’s Ball: BURP will once again be participating in the DC Brewer’s Ball on March 2 in support of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. We already have brewers lined up to brew/pour at the event, but if you’re interested in attending, tickets are available here for $150 (it’s for a good cause!): https://www.dcbrewersball.org
- Spirit of Free Beer (SoFB): Our big annual competition will be held on April 6 this year at Silver Branch Brewing. Check-in will be the weekend before on March 30. Judge & Steward registration is now open (https://sofb.brewcomp.com) & entry registration will open on 2/28.
- SMaSH Beer Experiment: Your Ministers of Enlightenment are planning a fun SMaSH beer activity for June, but we need brewers to participate. If you’re interested in brewing a SMaSH beer for the June meeting, please reach out to Chuck & Matt at email@example.com. If we have enough participants, this will also double as a competition for the month!
- HomebrewCon: This year’s AHA HomebrewCon is on June 27-29 in Providence, RI. Matt Peppe has volunteered to coordinate a BURP booth at Club Night if there’s enough members attending. If you’re planning on attending the conference, please let me know so we can start getting a group organized!
- BURPOUT: BURPOUT has been confirmed for July 12-14 this year. Mark your calendars & be on the lookout for more details as we get closer!
Merch for Sale!
We have merch! Please reach out to Dave White via email or at a meeting if you’d like to buy anything.
- NEW! BURP beanies (navy, forest green, or light purple. Only $9 each!
- “Body by BURP” T-shirts (S-XXL), which cost $15. Only a few remaining!
- Navy long sleeves T-shirts (S-XXL) with the same logo for $18. Only a few remaining!
- BURP cycle jerseys (miscellaneous sizes) for sale ($45 each for members, $50 for non-members)
- Generic BURP work shirts for $33 (only couple XL and L left).
- BURP coasters with the old school logo, which we’re selling in packs of 10 for $2.00 and 25 for $5.
- BURP titanium openers for $10
- BURP European-style stickers for $1
Shameless Self Plug
For the last few years, I’ve shaved my head for a St. Baldrick’s Foundation fundraiser to raise money for childhood cancer research. This year’s event is the day after our BURP meeting on Sunday, March 10 at Boundary Stone in DC. If you’re interested in supporting this great cause, you can donate here: https://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/1002194/2019. And all are welcome to join me at Boundary Stone for the big shave!
That’s all for this month…I look forward to enjoying some stouts with everyone in March!
Cheers, Prost, & Sláinte,