September Meeting: 9/28 @ 12 – 5 pm
On Saturday we’ll meet in Gaithersburg for our annual Oktoberfest celebration! If you are available to arrive earlier to help setup, that would be great–I plan on being there at 11am.
The club will once again provide brats & Howard Michelesen has already volunteered to grill for us…thanks Howard! As always though, please bring other Oktoberfest-themed dishes to complement the brats. Remember: always bring more food than you can eat & more beer than you can drink!
This meeting is the perfect time to break out your lederhosen & dirndls to get in the Oktoberfest spirit! We’ll have a few themed games as well (stein holding & St. Pauli Girl race). Your Ministers of Enlightenment have a German vs. American festbier tasting planned, and of course, we’ll have our annual German Beer Competition.
The competition is a popular vote one, so you must bring at least 3 gallons either kegged or in bottles/growlers. Any German beer style is fair game! You can register here: German Beer Competition.
Thanks to Wendy Aaronson & Bill Ridgely for hosting our meeting last month. They stepped up in a pinch when our original host had a family emergency come up. We had a great turnout for a late summer meeting. Chuck Hughes & Matt Peppe organized a fun SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) experiment. Thanks to everyone who brewed a SMaSH beer for the meeting. I think we ended up having about 12 beers. Jeanne Burns ran a competition among the SMaSH brewers as well. Thanks to our four judges (Bob Rouse, Don Kaliher, Lon Holland, & Trish Koch) who helped determine the winners. And without further ado: Matt Peppe took 3rd place with his Pilsner & Hallertau Blanc beer. John Foulke took 2nd (his first all-grain beer at that!) with his Smoked Malt & Hallertau Mittelfruh beer. And Matt Pyle claimed the top spot with a delicious Pilsner & Mosaic beer. Congrats to all the winners!
- Zymernauts/SPBW/Guild Crab Feast: The annual Crab Feast is on Saturday, 9/21. More details & registration here: https://maryland-homebrewers-guild.ticketleap.com/nasacrabs2019/
- Guild Holiday Party: The Guild’s holiday party will be on Saturday, 12/7 at Heavy Seas. More details coming soon!
Merch for Sale!
We have merch! Please reach out to Dave White via email or at a meeting if you’d like to buy anything.
- NEW! BURP beanies (navy, forest green, or light purple. Only $9 each!
- “Body by BURP” T-shirts (S-XXL), which cost $15. Only a few remaining!
- Navy long sleeves T-shirts (S-XXL) with the same logo for $18. Only a few remaining!
- BURP cycle jerseys (miscellaneous sizes) for sale ($45 each for members, $50 for non-members)
- Generic BURP work shirts for $33 (only couple XL and L left).
- BURP coasters with the old school logo, which we’re selling in packs of 10 for $2.00 and 25 for $5.
- BURP titanium openers for $10
- BURP European-style stickers for $1
That’s all for this month…I’ll see you all on September 28 for Oktoberfest!
Cheers, Prost, & Sláinte,
|September 28||Gaithersburg, MD||Oktoberfest||German Beers||Oktoberfest Comparison|
|October 12||Falls Church, VA||Regular Meeting||Best Beer w/ BBQ||Cider Education|
|November 9(Judging Nov 8)||Aaronridge PubRockville, MD||Real Ale||Real Ale||Real Ale Education|
|December 5||Silver Spring, MD||Holiday Party||Winter Warmers||None|